VARIABLE NAME: REGSTAT
DESCRIPTOR: Registration Status
DEFINITION: The student's status of registration during the selected semester.
- 1 = First-time Freshman
- 2 = First-time Graduate
- 3 = First-time First Professional
- 4 = First-time Transfer
- 5 = Readmit
- 6 = Continuing
- 7 = Special
- 8 = Transient
- 9 = High School Student Taking College Courses
- First-Time Freshman: An entering freshman who has never attended any college. Includes students enrolled in the Fall term who attended college for the first time in the prior summer term. Also includes students who entered with advanced standing (college credits earned before graduation from high school) OR admitted under an alternative admission program (Provisional).
- First-Time Graduate: Student enrolled at the graduate level at an institution for the first time. Includes graduate students enrolled in the Fall semester who attended graduate school in the prior summer semester.
- First-Time First Professional: Student enrolled at the first professional level at an institution for the first time. Includes first professional students enrolled in the fall term who entered the institution in the prior summer term. The following degree programs are classified as first professional: Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Medicine (M.D.), Law (L.L.B. or J.D.).
- First-Time Transfer: A student entering the reporting institution for the first time but is known to have previously attended a post-secondary institution. Includes students enrolled in the fall term who entered the institution in the prior summer term.
- Readmit: Student returning after missing one or more regular semesters (fall or spring).
- Continuing: Student currently enrolled who was also enrolled the previous regular semester (fall or spring).
- Special (not accepted to a degree program): Student who has not been admitted into a degree seeking program.
- Transient (not accepted to a degree program): Students from other colleges and universities. They may be admitted to take summer work (courses) provided they are in good standing at their institutions, eligible to return, and have institutional permission to enroll in a particular course.
- High School Student Taking College Courses: A student who is still in high school but has special permission to take a college level course.
SOURCE: CHE Enrollment File
EXAMPLE: To select First-time freshmen, type REGSTAT='1' in the WHERE statement. To select all First-time students (freshmen, graduate students, first professional students, and transfer students), type REGSTAT IN ('1','2','3','4') in the WHERE statement. To select students that are continuing (currently enrolled and enrolled the previous regular semester), type REGSTAT='6' in the WHERE statement.