Located in the heart of Columbia, the Department of Biological Sciences is one of the largest departments at USC. Our mission is to advance knowledge and discoveries in many aspects of biology that range from the cellular and genetic level to the organismal and environmental level. Our Department carries out cutting-edge research, and transmit knowledge to our students and citizens through first-class courses, programs and community engagement. We strive to provide our undergraduate and graduate students the best education and training that enables them to achieve their professional and personal goals.
- to excel in our major research areas and foster interdisciplinary research across biological fields.
- to promote active learning, scientific reasoning, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- to provide experiential learning and engage students in scientific discovery through course, laboratory and beyond the classroom research experiences in faculty laboratories.
- to encourage students to place their new scientific knowledge in the broader context of modern society.
- to promote diversity, equity and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students.
- to foster the dissemination of science in the general public through education and outreach activities.