The number and dollar amount of dance scholarships to be awarded is dependent upon the number of qualified candidates and on the level of funds available in the scholarship account. The dance scholarship committee determines the number and amount of dance scholarships to be awarded each semester.
- Students are expected to maintain a 2.5 grade point average to retain their awards.
- Out-of-state scholarship recipients may be eligible for a tuition reduction benefit if their scholarships are valued at $500 per year or greater.
Dance scholarships will be awarded based on the following criteria. Dancers will be assessed for scholarships based on their application and audition for acceptance into the dance program:
- Accepted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to attend the University South Carolina.
- Declared a dance major and enrolled as a full-time university student with a minimum of 12 credit hours. Freshmen are eligible to receive scholarships. All prospective dance majors, including transfer students, must audition in order to be accepted into the dance program, and must have been accepted as a student by the University of South Carolina through its separate application process.
- Technical ability as determined by the dance faculty during the audition process. Dancers are not only assessed on their current technique, but also on the perceived potential for success within the dance program.
To receive a tuition reduction, scholarship recipients must also meet eligibility requirements based on weighted core course GPA and standardized test scores as determined by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Declared a dance major and enrolled as a full-time university student with a minimum of 12 credit hours. Students must have a 2.5 GPA or above and be making suitable process towards degree completion.
- Technical ability as determined by the dance faculty during course work and rehearsals.
- Departmental commitment, including participation in, and support of, student organizations (NDEO, Dance Company, Student Advisory Board, Carolina Dance Science), participation in performances with UofSC Dance Company and Student Showcase, and attendance at departmental meetings, guest lectures, performances, and seminars.
- Class and rehearsal attendance and participation. Attendance at all classes and rehearsals is vital to the student’s success within
the dance program. In addition, students are expected to demonstrate engagement and
professionalism in each class and rehearsal.
- Students must be ready to work at the beginning of each class and rehearsal.
- Students should support healthy habits and a positive environment through actively rooting for their peers, modeling self-care, and being open to dialogues which challenge norms and build new perspectives.
- Students are expected to be actively engaged in their own learning by asking questions and working to support the creative process.
- Students are encouraged to maintain open communication with their faculty regarding absences, injuries, and participation.
1) Incoming students: Dance faculty and the Dance Recruitment and Scholarship Committee will evaluate scholarship eligibility based on the student’s program application and audition.
2) Current students: Students must complete an application for scholarship consideration. This application is due February 15th for scholarship consideration beginning the following fall semester. Application details will be sent to all current students at the beginning of the Spring Semester.
- Dance Majors currently on scholarship are not required to re-apply but must maintain good standing within the department and continue to meet the above criteria in order to remain on scholarship.
- Dance Majors who are not meeting the above criteria may have their scholarship rescinded or be placed on probation and re-evaluated the following semester.
3) Dance scholarship awards will be approved by the Chair of the Department of Theatre and Dance upon the recommendation of the Dance Recruitment and Scholarship Committee. The Dance Recruitment and Scholarship Committee consists of no fewer than three dance area full-time faculty members and is elected by the faculty at large. Dance scholarship awards are announced by April 15th.
4) Dance scholarship payment will be disbursed at the beginning of the semester for which the award was granted.
Funding for Your Education
We encourage you to explore all the options for paying for your education and to get in touch with the university's Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for more information.